GCSE Art and Design
Exam Board - Edexcel 2FA01 (Fine Art)
You will learn about art, artists and cultures. You will extend skills in a range of mediums and techniques to develop and express your own ideas into personal pieces of work. The course requires that you learn skills relating to:
- Analysis and understanding of art
- Collection and presentation of resources and observations and ideas
- The ability to use various materials and development of final ideas
This is in three parts:
- Controlled Assessment Coursework: This will be built up from your class learning and some home learning during the two years. This counts for 60% of the final mark.
- Preparation for the examination: You will be given a theme 8 weeks before the examination so you can do studies and prepare your work. This, along with the examination, counts for 40% of the final mark.
- A ten hour examination where you do your final work (don’t be put off by ten hours; you need a long time to do good art work and if you prepare sufficiently, the examination will be enjoyable). This counts for 40% of the final mark.
Where it leads
There are many opportunities for a career in Art and Design. Some possibilities include Architecture, Art Business, Design, Art Therapy, Art Curating, Film/Stage Production, Advertising and Scientific Illustration.